Sunday, November 20, 2011

Snowman Christmas Tag

I just had to make one more tag using the festive greenery die and our Illustrated Christmas stamp set to show the versatility of both.  I also wanted to try a faux patina copper technique I'd been brainstorming since I first tried the new snowcap Alcohol Ink mixative.  Steps for the background are shown below.  The other items used are as follows:
Marvy Le Plume Permanent Marker sets grass green, orange and cool gray
silver paint and cranberry dabber
picket fence, rock candy Distress Stickles
copper, pool and snow cap Adirondack Alcohol Inks
foil tape
#8 tag
seafoam white embossing powder
embossing ink
spellbinders fancy tags 2
Snowflurries and Snowman Texture Fades
snowflake stamp from Winter Wonderland set
white versamagic ink
black cardstock
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White paper
liquid pearls
various ribbons

I used the markers to color and highlight the carrot, scarf and hat on the snowman.  I then took a little brown pigment ink on a sponge to add a little paper aging around the edge of the snowman.  I cut his arms off for this tag to minimize the fussy cutting.  I added picket fence distress stickles to some of the greenery and rock candy distress stickles to the snowman.  The liquid pearls were added to the center of the snowflakes I cut out for the center of the bottom greenery arragement.

By apply copper, about half as much pool and about 1-2 drops of snow cap mixative alcohol inks to your alcohol ink applicator tool you can turn regular silvertone foil into a copper with aged patina.
I applied the foil tape to the front of a #8 tag and trimmed it to fit.  I ran both the foil and tag through my cuttlebug with the Snow Flurries texture fade embossing folder. 
The raised snowflakes weren't as obvious as I'd wanted, so I applied some copper alchol ink lightly to the surfaces of the raised areas and that really brought out the design.
I rubbed an embossing ink pad over the surface and sprinkled white emobssing powder over top.  I didn't want htis much coverage so I wiped awa as much as I could.  My embossing ink was quite sticky so I had to use a wet paper towel to get as much as I wanted off.
After heating the embossing powder, this was my final background.  Now all I had to do was use a little liquid glue to apply all the little items I'd created to complete my tag.