Sunday, February 26, 2012

Inked Crafters Workshop Template Backgrounds


Created by: Stacey Dunning, Design Team Member

Description: Crafter's Workshop Template Backgrounds

Stamp Set Used: Blockheads stamps Maple Leaves from Nature-Leaves Set and Whimsical Dragonfly from the Take Flight Stamp Set.

After playing with the the newest designs of Crafter's Workshop templates, here are two techniques I came up with that are a little different than I've seen before.


On the background for the maple leaves card.  I used a distress background technique that Tim Holtz uses regularly.  We have his video tutorial on this here: Distress Ink Background.  Once my paper was dry, I used a Tsukineko Smudgie from Inkssesories kit. With an Spiced Marmelade and a Rust Distressed pad and sponged ink through the Leaf Frame CW template.  It was fast and not as messy as using a spray ink.

The background behind the dragonfly stamp is perhaps my favorite technique.  Sometimes I find using spray inks doesn't quite allow the controlled color variation that I want.  Instead of using the Butterscotch and Wild Plum Colorwash inks as a spray, I sprayed a small amount into a watercolor tray and diluted it with some sprays of water.  I then brushed the ink over the template.  I did the butterscotch first and then without cleaning my brush I dipped it into the Wild Plum so it would be tinted just a little, which provides a more subtle color than the bright pink/purple.  The trick with this technique is to not pick up too much liquid with the brush.  A very wet brush will cause the ink to seep beneath the template and you loose the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment