Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Isle of Aud Safari Cards

These images from Lost Coast Designs are all fictional creatures with beautiful detail and designs.  Sometimes I color them realistic colors to downplay the "aud"ness and other times I play it up with bizarre colors.  They are a great size for the center image on a card, leaving lots of room for embellishing or for ATCs.  I colored all my images in advance using Prismacolor Pencils. Read more for information on how to create the alcohl ink backgrounds, a list of supplies and larger images.



Sometimes I have a hard time going from an image I love to creating a good layout for it.  Once I get something I like for one, often I follow the same formula for a few more cards.  My formula here uses:
1 Lost Coast Background image, used as a resist for alcohol inks,
1-2 Lost Coast border stamps,
1 Spellbinders Die
1 Button
Fibers





As you can see from the close up, by stamping a background image using Ranger Inkssentials Watermark Resist ink (Formerly called Clear Resist) and then using a felt applicator to apply alcohol inks mixed with blending solution, you can see the patten through.  It is subtle but adds a lot of texture and interest to an alcohol ink background.  The gray colored sample uses the Flagstone Background with slate adirondack alcohol ink and blender solution and the caramel/stream alcohol ink background uses the White Waves background.  I used the Alligator Skin Background with latte and eggplant alcohol inks to create the background on the rhino below.  The darker frame was cut from the background and I went over it again with espresso alcohol ink and blender solution on my felt applicator.



2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous background treatment!! "Wild" images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this background technique. WIll be trying it very soon.

    ReplyDelete