Saturday, July 17, 2010

Using Embossing Folders with Metal - Cuttlebug and Sizzix

Di and I challenged ourselves this weekend to use Spellbinders Craft Foil Sheets with Embossing Folders. My first technique I borrowed, with a modification from Technique Junkies. Using the brass color sheet I used he felt applicator to apply red pepper, butterscotch and espress alcohol inks with a little blending solution to the foil sheet. I heat dried it to make sure all the ink was dry and then I then ran it through the Tim Holtz Patchwork Texture Fades folder and sanded the color off the ridges.

Di created a frame for her Gibson Girl stamped image by running a copper color sheet through the Kassie's Brocade 5x7 Cuttlebug Embossing Folder and then using the Spellbinders Labels 13 to cut the hole in the middle of the foil sheet.  After using a paper cutter to trim off unembossed areas, the color was added by rubbing Saddlebrown StazOn ink over the raised areas.  The edges still looked a little raw for the vintage feeling she wanted so she applied pitch black Adirondack Dabber paint to the outside and inside edges.

I liked how this looked so much that I used her inside piece to create another frame.

I applied timber brown StazOn ink because I wanted a darker, more tarnished look and allowed it to dry.  Once dry I applied pitch black Adirondack Dabber paint to the entire suface and then used a paper towel to rub a lot of it away exposing most of the metal colored with StazOn and some of the brighter copper.  After that I cut a hole with a smaller die from the Spellbinders 13 set.  Now I still have a nice peice from the center for an embellishment and need to get back to playing!  That metal went a long way in this project.



Supplies List
Spellbinders Craft Foil
Tim Holtz Texture Fades Embossing Folders
Cuttlebug Embossing Folders
Adirondack Alcohol Ink
Spellbinders Labels 13 Nestabilities Die
StazOn Ink Pads
Lost Coast Windy Gibson Girl Stamp
Blockheads Years Ago Woman Stamp
Lost Coast Long Swirl Stamp
Tim Holtz Lost & Found Paper
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Word Keys

5 comments:

  1. The cards are beautiful! love what you did with the craft foil. TFS! Now I have something new to try.

    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cards are beautiful. I love the look of the craft foil! Something new to try. TFS!

    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tutorial. I really like how this looks. I plan on trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is really beautiful! I have tried something similar...you can see pictures of my projects at www.thecraftycans.com Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used the foil as is and could hardly wait to get it all used up and out of my sight because the cards I made with it looked too "in your face" and cold.

    Well, now that I've seen here what artists do with it........I never would have thought to alter the colors and make it into art. this will be a fun new project.

    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Bahb

    ReplyDelete