Thursday, March 29, 2012

More Magic Metal


Created by: Stacey Dunning, Design Team Member
Description: Cards using Magic Metal Accents created with Embossing Powder and Rubber Stamps
Stamp Set Used: Botanical Silhouettes and Nature Medallions from Blockheads.

I created these using Silver and Liquid Platinum Embossing Powders.  I followed Karen's instructions 


 for the Magic Metal Technique.  I actually stumbled a few times on this technique because of the detail in the Butterfly Medallion stamp.  I found that 4 coats was problematic, but that I could get ok impressions with 2-3 coats.  The one on the left was the one I tried with 4 coats ended up not using.  I did find that I could die cut through 2-3 layers when finished so that I didn't have to line up the stamp perfectly over the embossed powders.  I really liked how they ended up looking like silver coins.  I also learned that if you stamp badly and reheat to try again it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped.  The initial impression actually shifts the metallic so when you reheat it doesn't have the pretty metallic look to stamp into.

I used Distress Stains to ink my butterfly stamp to create a background and fireworks spray ink to create the speckled bottom layer of this card.

On the next card I actually has better luck because the stamp was less detailed.  I still only used 3 layers of liquid platinum embossing powder but managed to get a pretty good impression.  I used the Vintaj Patina Inks with a small paint brush and brushed them into the groves carefully and rubbed the area with a wet paper towel as I went.  I worked in small areas at a time because the Vintaj inks dry quickly.  I liked the patina look.



4 comments:

  1. Those look awesome Stacy. I had the same thought that a detailed stamp wasn't going to work too well. Have my idea in my head now, just need the time to make it happen. Thanks for a great venue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, these are absolutely gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Nature Medallions DO look like coins! Amazingly beautiful. The silhouette creation makes me wish I'd ordered that set, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those silver coin medallions are fabulous and I love how you added the patina inks to the botanical silhouette.

    ReplyDelete